For the last 3 years, the government has provided Primary Schools with an additional grant for improving the participation and attainment of pupils in PE and Sports. The funding is designed to help primary schools improve the quality of the PE and sports activities they offer their pupils. Schools receive PE and Sports Premium based on the number of pupils in Years 1-6 and must use the funding to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of PE and sport they offer. The funding, which is ring fenced for investment in sport, is given directly to schools to use as they wish for improving the quality of sport and PE.
At Hartwell Primary School, we were awarded £8,830 for the academic year 2015-2016 and will be awarded the same in 2016-2017.
The Department for Education vision is that:
All pupils leaving primary school physically literate and with the knowledge, skills and motivation necessary to equip them for a healthy lifestyle and lifelong participation in physical activity and sport.
Funding is provided to ensure impact against the following objective:
To achieve self-sustaining improvement in the quality of PE and sport in primary schools.
5 indicators are used to measure progress against this objective as follows:
- The engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity- kick-starting healthy active lifestyles.
- The profile of PE and sport being raised across the school as a tool for whole school improvement.
- Increased confidence, knowledge and skill of all staff in teaching and sport
- Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- Increased participation in competitive sport
As a school we also have objectives set out in our PE action plan which link to the DFE objectives and use of PE/Sport premium. These are:
- To strengthen the role of PE subject leader
- To audit the PE equipment in order to inform purchases which impact on provision
- To provide a rich and varied PE curriculum based around the teaching of key skills through a range of sports
- To develop CPD opportunities for teaching staff
- To develop Young Leaders in sports
- To provide more opportunities for intra-school sports
- To provide more opportunities for inter-school sports
- To provide a wide and varied range of before and after school sporting opportunities
Please click here to see a table that shows how the school has met the indicators and the resulting impact on the pupils.